Puddleglum

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Boasting bout tommorow

James 4:13-17:
Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil. Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins.
Ecclesiastes 4:13-15:
Better a poor but wise youth than an old but foolish king who no longer knows how to take warning. The youth may have come from prison to the kingship, or he may have been born in poverty within his kingdom. I saw that all who lived and walked under the sun followed the youth, the king's successor.
Ecclesiasted 7:18b
The man who fears God will avoid all extremes.

That's my morning paper, waking me up and stretching my heart and correcting my vision. I hope you're all doing well! Tomorrow I leave for inner-city L.A. for a week with a bunch of Jr. Highers. Please pray that God will give us leaders some patience with them, so that the kids will know to have patience with the homeless.

I'm going to especially appreciate this trip because I've recently gotten a promotion at work. I've been thinking, "maybe a new car would be nice, or maybe it's time to get an Xbox 360, or a flat-panel, or maybe some new clothes." Those are basic temptations, but aren't they the most annoying kind? I know a family or two who could benefit from any one of those things. But there's wisdom which speaks about teaching somebody to provide for themselves instead of simply providing for them. So I pray that God will answer my question regarding what to do with my money and my time. Please pray for our group: that God will provide us with what we need while we're down there. This is no easy task except that God will be with us while we're trodding along. When Christian was on his way to the Kingdom of Heaven, did he ever stop to admire the beauty of the land? I pray that we can be motivated and show the beauty and the awesomeness of the path to God, and that we can keep from quarrels and fights and any desire that's within us for worldly comfort.

I pray for perseverance! I miss you AZ folk, and I hope you're all doing well.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger friend said…

    I can think or some ways to use your money...heh heh.

    www.amadeochurch.com
    www.amadeochurch.blogspot.com

    help a starving church plant...

    But seriously, you ever thought about going and doing a mission trip in Arizona? Come help with the church plant. Bob Speizer is coming in town next weekend and we are having our first prayer/info meeting for Amadeo Church. Alright peace out.

    Ben

     

Post a Comment

<< Home