Puddleglum

Saturday, October 15, 2005

I started writing this a while ago and didn't know if I wanted to post it. It's sort of boring, so I'm sorry.

“You see, what’s unusual here is the high mass stars normally are very rare, sort of like whales in the ocean, where as low mass stars are sort of like tuna in the ocean – there are much more of them. What is interesting here is that you definitely see the whales, because they are very bright, but you don’t see as much tuna as expected,” Nayakshin told SPACE.com. “So, whatever theory you may want to build to explain the formation mechanism of these stars, you have to do it in a way that would produce much fewer low mass stars per one high mass star.”
Woah, that's deep. People say that the discoveries we find in space force us to broaden our scope of what God is capable of. I think it's more amazing that somebody can accurately compare huge balls of gas trillions of light-years away to tuna and whales.

I've always been amazed by astronomy. I mean, "In the beginning God created the heavens and earth." -- That verse is simply too boring to be taken realistically. Back in the day, the heavens must have been simply the little white dots that you see at night. Today we can zoom in on some of the dots, and we find out that there's much more to the dots. They're still mostly round, like dots, but they're colorful and they're enormous and most of them are so much larger than our own sun that they would eat up our whole solar system. "In the beginning God created the most amazing, confusing, complexing, perfect expanse, and also the earth." If you want to look at the impossible size, or the impossible arrangement, or the impossible complexity, or even the scariness of the universe, there's at least something about it that should bring a tingle through your spine. And I think that tingle is important to look at.

Did scientists decide to go to such extreme measures, and why does society spend so much of its money -- simply to try observing and explaining the universe? I don't think so. I think they're trying to get that tingling feeling again.

We live in this "impossible" universe. God gave us some commands, which are really difficult to comprehend when we think outside our Earth. He told us to populate the earth, but He didn't really say anything about the universe. He told us to rule over the plants and animals, but he didn't say anything about aliens or giant balls of gas. Some other things amaze us that we are a direct part of: the making of music and art... personal expression. We are able to amaze each other! And there's no denying that.

However, there's also no denying that we're able to appall each other. As amazed as we are with some of the things we create, so much more powerfully destructive are some of the things we create. Such as the nuclear bomb, or the blitzkrieg, or the colonization of Africa. Those things have caused the exact opposite of inspiration: they have brought about unimaginable death and oppression.

I've just been thinking about that lately, and I guess that shows how incredibly susceptible I am to day-dream in class. But the point when I stop day-dreaming is right after I make the connection between the tingling sensation, and the corruption. I mean, I'm not God, even in my day-dreams, and I'm unable to fathom -- much less explain -- the reason that we get a tingling sensation. So that's when I stop. I don't want to seek after something that might lead to harming other people.

But now that I've had time to think about other things, I think that we get another feeling sometimes: the feeling of being bored, or stuck in the mud. I can't exactly explain why God decided to give us those annoying feelings; but it's interesting that when I day-dream, it's often a result of those annoying feelings. So there's the sensation of amazement, the sensation of being bored; and the state of being good and the state of being corrupt.

For all of that formula, all I can conclude is that they're related. It's like trying to explain why people would read this entire blog. I can explain that my writing-style and the readers interest in the topic are important, but so are the ethics of my point in the blog. They're related, but to come up with a formula wouldn't seem helpful. The fact is: you're reading this!

What I've come to understand is that following your sensations will lead you all over. From day-dreaming to becoming obsessive over work, or from painting the Mona Lisa to instructing soldiers to pillage a town, if you simply follow your sensations without considering the ethics of the decision, you can make some serious mistakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home